Tuesday, October 02, 2012

random acts of kindness.....

When Blaine and I last took a trip to Oregon, we had an uplifting experience.  We'd taken the first leg of our flight.  A serviceman was sitting kitty corner to us.  I first thanked him for his service to our country.  Ladies and gents, we should ALWAYS thank our military for their service.  Anywho, he was on leave and heading home to see his wife and two little ones.  He was very sweet to Blaine and occupied his attention for almost the entire flight.  Thank you kind sir!  He then gave Blaine a card with the Army's values and principles on it.  Blaine went bananas.  And then while we walked off of the plane he gave Blaine a couple of dollars just to spend on whatever he wanted.  I thought that was so sweet!  Blaine hasn't forgotten it.  He brought it up they other day and mentioned how nice that was.  And I told him that was a random act of kindness.
B-"What's that?"
Me- "It's when you do something nice for someone else, spur of the moment."
B- "Oh, who can I give my money to?"
At which point I explained about people that could use the money more than we could.  I also explained that a random act of kindness doesn't have to involve money.  It could be some kind of service (opening a door for someone, carrying groceries for someone's whose hands are full etc.).  Or paying a compliment to brighten a persons day.  So he and I and are setting out this week to commit random acts of kindness.  We're hoping for a daily opportunity!  Wish us luck in our endeavor!


1 comment:

Seth said...

That's very cool, all of the above.