Monday, April 26, 2010

Here are some excerpts from my current read that I found amusing...

Odd Hours- Odd Thomas, self-narration; When I peered under the table, I noted an eight-inch-diameter drain with a slotted grille. Considering that Magic Beach had no history of floods, I supposed that this design feature facilitated the hosing-out of the room after unfortunate accidents.
This is one of those sobering circumstances in which my overheated imagination, if I were not careful, could cause a portion of my cerebellum to melt down, and set my hair on fire. I counseled myself that I remained in the United States, which was not Cuba Venezuela, or even Mordor.



Again, an Odd Thomas self-narration; Taped to the walls were charming drawings executed by children of various ages, all featuring a smiling bearded man in white robes, who I assumed, because of his halo, must be Jesus. The Son of God, inadequately but earnestly rendered, was engaged in all manner of tasks that I did not recall being recounted in Scripture.
Jesus with hands upraised, transforming a rain of bombs into flowers. Jesus smiling but shaking his finger at a pregnant woman about to drink a bottle of beer. Jesus saving a stranded polar bear from an ice floe. Jesus turning a flamethrower on stacks of crates labeled CIGARETTES.

2 comments:

Beck said...

Very intriguing...Where do you find these books?

Starpix said...

i have the whole odd thomas series if you'd like to borrow them. they're a supernatural kind of suspense. dean koontz is a really cool author...definitely my favorite in this genre..let me know :)